Saturday 16 June 2012

Isn’t There A Fanatic Somewhere In All Of Us?


What is it with you people?
You, who stand with your heads above the mist,
you with your Easter Island faces,
turned to the here and now, outward looking.
And I, here I am, elsewhere.
I balance on my straw raft,
float toward the horizon,
sea brine seeping past my toes.
In my delirium
I seek fresh water in the depths
and see monochrome men,
the lingering smoke of cigarettes,
the watch inturned and the hands adept.
Somewhere I lie with my face downturned,
my hands downstretched, catching
currents that left the shore decades past.

I couldn’t be happy in bobby socks
and outspread skirts. But.
But I will stand in the shadow by the dance hall wall.
I will watch them spin.
I will watch the play of muscle under skin,
the lucid eyes and the dark ones.
I will watch the sleek wet cling of cotton,
grained on film and left when life was vital.
I can look through the sheer water
and dream of the oxygen beneath the depths.
And dive, and dive again, and bring back pearls.

2 comments:

  1. Please, please, try to get these writings published in a book! These poems are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! :-) I've self-published a couple of my novels here http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/coffeebeancamelathotmaildotcom and I'm going to put together a selection of poems at some point in the future - when I've written enough to make a book!!

      Delete